5 Surefire Ways to Prevent Skin Cancer
Summer is officially here, Skin lovers! With the harsh Australian sun prepped to beat down our skin soon, it is a must to protect your skin at all costs – remember, protection is better than cure!
More than 2,000 people die from skin cancer yearly in Australia. As the Cancer Council AU stresses in its theme – “UV. It all adds up!” Take a look at these skincare tips, share this information with family and friends, and save lives:
1. Use the ABCD of melanoma detection.
- A for Asymmetry – If the spot or lesion is divided in half, and the two halves are not mirror images.
- B for Border B – A spot with a spreading or irregular edge appears.
- C for Colour – A spot with a number of different colours throughout is observed.
- D for Diameter – The spot grows and changes in diameter and/or size.
2. Observe for warning signs.
There are spots that don’t automatically translate to skin cancer but can be a prelude to that. Take note of these 3 skin abnormalities/growth and consult your doctor if they persist:
- Dysplastic nevi or atypical moles
These are odd-shaped moles that are usually 5-10mm wide and have uneven colouring. These can indicate developing melanoma.
- Solar keratoses or sunspots
These are hard, red and scaly spots caused by sun damage and may cause skin cancer to develop.
- Seborrhoeic keratoses or ‘senile warts’
These are often confused with melanoma but they are often non-cancerous and characterised by warty-looking brown or black lesions with well-defined borders.
3. Have regular skin checks.
Skin cancer can also develop in areas not exposed to the sun. Examine every surface from the scalp to fingernail beds to in between toes, and check for the following:
- A spot that looks different from other spots
- A mole or freckle that has changed in size, shape and colour
- An inflamed sore that has not healed within three weeks
4. Shield yourself from direct sun exposure.
There are so many fun activities under the sun! This is why we should never forget to protect and shield ourselves, so that we can enjoy outdoor activities to the fullest. Wear a hat, seek shade, use protective clothing and look cool with sunglasses!
5. Be religious with your skincare rituals.
One rule for all skin types, ages and seasons: Never go out without sun protection. Invest in quality exfoliant, moisturiser and most importantly, sunscreen for maximum coverage and battle the harming effects of sun exposure!
Beat the heat and skin cancer, Skinlovers! Don’t let it rob you of the fun you’ll have in the sun! If you see symptoms or indications, it is best to consult with your doctor and stay protected.
We are with you in preventing and battling skin cancer! We are saving your skin while you can save a whopping $175 and get the Skin O2 mineral compact, blush, lip gloss, lip pencil, mascara, lash oil, kabuki brush and eyeliner – all for only $99! Get it now and be protected all summer long!